Posted by PHM Life TEam on 24th Feb 2017
Often times the focus of skin care routines is on fancy creams and serums which
promise new skin overnight. The truth is that there are a whole lot more
important factors that may be causing poor skin appearance and
accelerating signs of aging.
There is a world of simple and natural skin care remedies, that more-often-than-not produce far superior results than even the best skin care products out there today–working with the body to heal and balance the skin.
Today we’re exploring natural ways to
improve the skin from the inside-out; as well as the outside-in. We also have
some upside-down myths about skin care below.
PHM Life Team
5 INSIDE-OUT SKIN CARE
Here are some inside-out skin care tips that can help skin appearance and decelerate the appearance of aging.
1) CHILL OUT: Stress causes your body to go into survival mode by pumping adrenaline to heighten the senses. While this is healthy if you are in danger, prolonged periods of stress can take a toll on your skin. When the body is in survival mode, the most vital organs like the heart, lungs, and brain work overtime. The skin, a less vital organ, becomes deprived of nutrients which eventually affects its appearance. Combat stress by incorporating relaxation techniques into your routine like yoga, meditation, and deep breathing. Consider Brain & Mood Boost by Color Earth to manage stress and support an optimal mood.
2) HEALTHY OILS: “Among the must-have foods for healthy skin: omega-3 fatty acids -- the "good fats" that have recently been credited with increasing heart health as well as helping your skin look healthier. These fatty acids are responsible for the health of the cell membrane, which is not only what acts as the barrier to things that are harmful, but also the passageway for nutrients to cross in and out and for waste products to get in and out of the cell.” pH Miracle Opti Oils is a premium Omega 3,6, and 9 supplement. It’s minimally processed, cold expeller pressed from flax, borage, and fish.
3) FOODS/SUPPLEMENTS: Research has found that vitamins C (1,000-3,000mg) and E, as well as selenium, can help protect the skin against sun damage and skin cancer. And they may actually reverse some of the discoloration and wrinkles associated with aging. These antioxidants work by speeding up the skin's natural repair systems and by directly inhibiting further damage. Color Earth’s Whole Multi is a great product with whole food concentrates, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Selenium for healthy skin. And the highly absorbable and acid-buffered Vitamin C by Color Earth has been shown in studies to have enhanced absorption, bioavailability and retention of Vitamin C in the blood plasma, cells and tissues.(1)
4) HYDRATE: Drinking healthy water is one of the best things you can do to keep your skin in shape. It keeps your skin moist -- and that makes fine lines and wrinkles less noticeable. It also helps your cells take in nutrients and get rid of toxins. And it helps with blood flow, keeping your skin glowing. And No alcohol. Alcohol causes dehydration and dilated blood vessels both of which make skin look tired and unhealthy.
5) SLEEP: Lack of sleep can affect how your skin looks dramatically, leading to dark circles, and dull looking skin. Get at least eight hours of sleep each night and you'll wake up to a much more fresh looking skin. Like always we recommend our favorite Pure Sleep by Color Earth to help in this department. It naturally inspires restful sleep.
6 OUTSIDE-IN SKIN CARE
You may be surprised at the amazing results you can see in your skin by avoiding the commercial cleansers andmoisturizers, and trying these simple tricks.
1) GRAPE SEED “MIRACLE” OIL: Filled with anti-inflammatory polyphenols, grape seed oil is known to retard the aging process and balance the skin. Grape seed oil was once the well-kept secret of many traditional cosmetic repertoires. It's an easily absorbed, gentle oil that is light on the skin and great for a night serum. It’s also been proven beneficial for wrinkle and scar reduction, prevention of acne and aging, skin balancing, and restoration of collagen. Despite popular belief, applying grape seed oil to the face will not make the skin ‘oily’. It actually has the opposite effect and is great for those with oily skin. (2) Restore your skin with wildcrafted Grapeseed Oil by Color Earth.
2) LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL: Balances pH of skin, tones with astringent properties, reduces oiliness, fights aging with citric acid and vitamin C, and works as a great cleanser. Mix with Grapeseed Oil or apply directly with a cotton wipe. (3) Citrus essential oils like Color Earth’s Lemon, Pink Grapefruit, and Sweet Orange have similar antioxidant and astringent benefits.
3) TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: Has antifungal and antibacterial properties to profoundly cleanse the skin. Great to use on a wipe or cotton ball to remove make-up.(4) We love the certified organic and sustainably sourced Tea Tree by Color Earth.
4) LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL: Helps heal skin irritations for all skin types. Mix with Grapeseed Oil or apply directly with a cotton wipe. Try the certified organic and sustainably sourced Lavender by Color Earth.
5) FRANKINCENSE ESSENTIAL OIL: Can help with pigmentation, as well as tone and tighten skin. Great skin cell regenerator for anti-aging benefits. We love the certified organic and sustainably sourced Frankincense by Color Earth.
6) LEMONGRASS ESSENTIAL OIL: Use as an astringent, and skin toner. Great at enhancing skin’s glow. Try the certified organic and sustainably sourced Lemongrass by Color Earth.
7 UPSIDE-DOWN SKIN CARE
These are just a few upside-down beliefs about skin care. These myths are not only wrong, but they can end up doing more damage than good.
1) SCRUB ACNE: Acne is not a hygiene problem; it's a hormonal issue. Do not try to scrub away acne.
2) SUNSCREEN ONCE: A sunscreen label that reads 'all day protection’ shouldn’t be believed. The truth is that no sunscreen lasts more than a few hours, so don’t apply once and forget about it. Also, get full spectrum sunscreen to protect against more than just the burning UVB rays. And no, tanning beds are not a healthy alternative to laying out.
3) HARSH CLEANSERS: Using harsh cleansers to clean your skin will strip away the natural oils that protect it from dirt, pollution and other factors that can easily damage your skin.
4) MORE IS MORE: When it comes to your skin, more is NOT better. Too much washing, too much cream, too much scrub can damage your skin.
5) GENETICS RULE: Sure, genetics play a role in how your skin looks, from the size of your pores to its texture and color. But banking on aging like your mom or grandmother is a big mistake. Habits make more of a difference than genetics.
6) SPF DICTATES PROTECTION: There are two types of damaging sun rays: UVA, which are responsible for aging the skin; and UVB, which are responsible for burning it. The SPF number on a bottle of sunscreen only gives a guide for how much UVB protection the product offers. It doesn't tell you whether or not the product protects from UVA rays (which are also responsible for melanoma). To fully protect yourself, however, look for a product that contains UVA-blocking ingredients, too, such as zinc.
7) DAMAGE IS DONE BY AGE 18: Recent studies have shown that by age 18, you've only accumulated 18–23% of the sun damage you'll incur over a lifetime. That means that there's still time to protect your skin from the sun and put off sun-induced aging. Do this by using sunscreen and products with sun-damage reversing ingredients such as vitamin C. (5)
If you’re like us, breakfast is a big deal. After all, moms have said for centuries that, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, right?Not eating a good breakfast can have side effects that negatively impact weight, hormonal health, memory, cognition, mood, and more.And while it’s important for our bodies to get good nutrition right out of the [...]
No matter where you stand on the GMO issue, everyone will be affected by the new law that went into effect 7 months ago. In a nutshell, last July President Barack Obama signed a bill into law requiring the labeling of food containing genetically modified ingredients, following a drawn-out battle between the food industry and pro-labeling groups on the [...]
To those unfamiliar with the COWS diet, outlined in the book "The pH Miracle", the title of this blog may have you scratching your head in confusion. How is eating cows, in any way, vegetarian? COWS is an acronym for the four alkaline food groups–the focus of the entire pH Miracle Diet. Remembering these four food groups with the COWS [...]
Perhaps one of the most well-known discoveries by Dr. Robert O. Young is his theory of the cause of obesity. He has shown that fat is actually an over-acidification problem. What does that mean?The body creates fat cells to carry acids away from your vital organs, so these acids literally don't choke your organs to [...]
Hello friends!Cleansing and healing the intestinal tract can have a positive ripple effect on the health of the entire body–allowing better nutrient absorption, flushing and preventing toxin absorption, shedding weight, and improving overall vitality. This is why it's so vital to focus on cleansing and detoxing on a regular basis, and especially when starting any [...]
HOW DID WE BECOME SO OUT OF BALANCE? We are now facing more dietary based health challenges than ever before. It is no coincidence that the rapidly growing numbers of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes correlate almost exactly with the rise in consumption of acid forming foods such as sugars, saturated fats, and white breads. At the same time, our [...]
Diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke, cancer, obesity, etc. are all chronic diseases that account for most of the top 10 causes of death. And the CDC (Center for Disease Control) says that these chronic diseases are “among the most common, costly and preventable of all health problems.” The key word there is ‘preventable’. We agree whole-heartedly that these diseases [...]
VEGGIE GINGER LEEK SOUP This is a go to recipe during the sick season:1 bunch leeks or onion chopped3 cloves minced garlic4 carrots chopped6 stalks celery chopped1 C chopped zucchini1 C green beans1 C peas1 C chopped tomatoes1 bunch kale sliced1 C almond or coconut milk1/2 tsp rosemary and thyme1 Tbls grated ginger3 Tbls Real SaltLemon [...]
Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over it's time to get back to you. It’s time to take your health to a new level in 2017! And today we have some EXCITING news about 3 new benefits that will reward you and help you keep your nutritional goals like never before!PURE REWARDS (starts [...]